Please find below my notes for this past weekend’s teaching (Father’s Day) at GCC. For personal use only. All other uses contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (c) 2012 Terry Broadwater.
Traditionally Father’s Day in church in not well attended by men- mostly because pastors use that time to crush men’s spirits! At GCC, we want to redeem Father’s Day and that’s why we call it “Testosterone Weekend!”
In a culture that feminizes men, lampoons men in TV sitcoms, and tries to demote the role of men in their responsibilities, we need to restore biblical manhood.
That’s why men enjoying some fun and fellowship with some other men is so important. “RTR” this past week- “Terry Vacation…” But, puts into perspective for me as a man how important my faith, family, and freedom is, and how I’m called to fight for those things…
Two of my favorite movies- “Braveheart” and “Lord of the Rings, Return of the King” – William Wallace- “Every man dies, but not every man really lives!” And, “Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you’ll live… at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!” Aragorn- “There may come a time when the hearts of men fail them for fear, when we break all bonds of fellowship, but it will not be this day, this day we fight!”
Men, we must fight for our faith, our families, and our freedom!
Every Man Needs a Camp to Set Up
- God calls and challenges every man to “manage his family well!” 1 Tim. 3:4-5 He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him. For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church? Psalm 127:1 Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.
- To “set up your camp/home” every man needs to be a provider and protector! Eph. 5:25-27 For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word. He did this to present her to himself as a glorious church without a spot or wrinkle or any other blemish. Instead, she will be holy and without fault. In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies. For a man who loves his wife actually shows love for himself.
Every Man Needs a Fish to Catch
- God calls and challenges every man to “take up the cause” and “take his position on the wall!” 1 Sam. 17:29 NKJV And David said, “What have I now done? Is there not a cause?” Neh. 3:10 Next Jedaiah son of Harumaph repaired the wall across from his own house, and next to him was Hattush son of Hashabneiah.
- “I looked for a man to stand in the gap and found none…” Ez. 22:30 NIV “I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.
- To “take up the cause” and “take your position” every man needs define what he will stand for and what is worth defending! 2 Sam. 23:11-12 When the Philistines banded together at a place where there was a field full of lentils, Israel’s troops fled from them. But Shammah took his stand in the middle of the field. He defended it and struck the Philistines down, and the Lord brought about a great victory.
Every Man Needs a Trail to Follow
- God calls and challenges every man to be a “true man of God!” 1 Kings 2:1-3 As the time of King David’s death approached, he gave this charge to his son Solomon: “I am going where everyone on earth must someday go. Take courage and be a man. Observe the requirements of the Lord your God, and follow all his ways. Keep the decrees, commands, regulations, and laws written in the Law of Moses so that you will be successful in all you do and wherever you go. Mark 1:17 Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!”
- To become a true “man of God” every man needs to follow and stay focused on Christ! Climbing Independence Pass- following Mark’s rear tire… Heb. 12:1-3 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.